Friday, March 18, 2011

When the garden gives you rocks, you make a rock raised garden!

For the past couple of years I have been doing small amounts of  container gardening with minor luck.  I live in an apartment with limited space to plant, but this year I decided to ask my landlord if I could plant a garden in this one spot, I thought would be perfect.  And he eagerly said yes! I think he has visions of coming over and stocking up on tomatoes and squash. 

I started seeds the other week because if my landlord wasn't  going to let me garden, then I was going to get a plot in a community  garden.  I have been anxious to start preparing the soil so I can plant seeds and more seeds so the he other day, I went out to my new space to clear some leaves and discovered it was not a bed of soil, but a  bed of rocks! Most of it looked like shale, but there were lots of big chucks of rocks.  Feeling a little defeated and wondering what to do now, I decided to build a raised garden bed, but didn't want to spend the money on buying new wood to make a pretty bed.  So I stacked the rocks, concrete borders, and some blocks of wood that were also out there and made my raised bed!
I will admit, parts of it look like they are about to collapse, and I am wondering if it will.  I guess we'll find out!  What do you think, should I do something else  before I add the dirt? 

See that big rock in the lower left hand corner? I rolled that over from about 20 feet away, holy moly it was heavy! There is another great rock I'd like to bring over to put on the left side, but it's twice the size of the one I moved. I need a cute, strong, guy to help me with that one.  
There is also a strip of dirt where someone years ago planted daffodil (maybe) bulbs which come back every year, so I put some kale & brussel sprouts there yesterday. You can't see them in this picture because they are still small little  guys, but soon they'll be gorgeous!
Have you started preparing your  garden yet?

3 comments:

  1. awww good luck on your garden... as long as your rock wall leans slightly inward it shouldn't fall :D you might think of lining it with something ( i use old hay ) so the water doesn't run out when you have a dry spell..
    i've been putting together a small hoop house so the soil will dry out and i can get a head start on the cold season veggies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks ok to me! once you fill it, i bet it will hold up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! I didn't think about the water flowing out when it's dry. I'll have to come up with something to line it with, I have no idea where I'd get hay from!

    ReplyDelete