Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's a sewing, sewing weekend!

I took the weekend off and didn't do any parties and decide to finish several sewing projects I started.  You know from that pile you have of the  "Stuff I am going to get too one day." I have about 5 of those piles and decided to set an intention to actually finish the stuff so I don't have the piles sitting around and also so I can have some new threads to wear. 

Here are a couple of things I've finished. 

The first two pictures are of a baby quilt I have been working on. It took me a month to finish this just because I would only work on it here & there.  It was pretty easy to put together except those silly squares didn't seem like to line up perfectly all the time.  An easy solution was to applique a bird over those seams: now you don't have to worry about seams not lining up. I used a brown Corduroy men's jacket, and some vintage sheets for the squares.  The back is a thrifted yellow jersey sheet. 
 My favorite part of the quilt is this pocket on the lower left hand corner, from the jacket of course.  
I also made two summer tops from men's dress shirts I have had forever and a year. 

Before Picture (Imagine the sleeves still on this shirt, I forgot to take a picture before I started chopping it up).
I decided to make a halter making the back the front and the front the back.  I cut a strip from the sleeves for the tie and removed those ugly white buttons and replaced them with covered buttons.  I covered them with a tie I had in my stash.  I love using ties for covered buttons, the colors in the ties make fabulous buttons.  

The second shirt was a stripe shirt that I converted into a tank with a cute bow in the front.  I normally don't like bows on my chest, but for some reason this one works.  Once again I made the back the front and the front the back, but I opted out of putting buttons down the placket, and just surged the edges. I like how the stripes don't go in the same way, it adds some pizazz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment