Thursday, January 2, 2014

Delish veggie burger

I am always on the hunt for a yummy veggie burger.  Eating the same same all the time gets more than a little boring for me.  As a grad student veggie burgers on the cheap are always an A+.  That means the staples for the burger will be beans, something that I eat o'plenty.  This recipe uses chickpeas and red lentils.  I really threw in what I had left in the fridge, hence the 1/4 sweet potato (leftover from breakfast)

I don't remember where I adopted this recipe from, but there are a ton of chickpea & lentils in the land of internet.

I am estimating the measurements below, you can add or subtract for your taste preference. 

You can use can or dried chickpeas.  I used dried, well because they are cheaper and I can flavor them as they cook. 

Makes about 8 palm size burgers

1 1/2c. Cooked chickpeas
1 c. Dried lentils (not sure how much this is cooked)
1 sm onion
2 carrots
1/4 sweet potato
1 c oats
Cumin
Salt & pepper
1 Tbsp Tahini
Cilantro
Garlic
1 egg
Olive oil

Cook the lentils.  As the cook sautee the onion, carrot, and garlic until the onions are tender.  Season with cumin, salt, & pepper.

Grind oats into flour in a food processor.  Dump into a bowl. 

Grind chickpeas, onion mixture, tahini, cilantro, and egg in food processor.  Dump in a bowl.

Grind sweet potato in food processor.  Dump in bowl.

Add lentils to bowl (this is the same bowl with all of your other ingredients).  This is where you get dirty...mix everything with your hands.  Add more oats as needed.

You want the mixture to be moist, but not soggy. 

Form into patties, lay on wax paper and stick in the fridge for about 1/2 hr - 1 hr. 

Heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and brown patties on each side.

Serve with your favorite toppings.  And yes tator tots are okay! I am a fan of spinach and avocado! 

Noms noms!

What do you add to your veggie burger?

No comments:

Post a Comment