Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Darling 1950's housewife dress

I just finished this darling retro dress today.  At first it seemed like it was going to be so easy because there were very few pattern pieces.  Boy did I learn fewer pieces doesn't always mean easy! The sleeves are attached to the bodice and have some weird princess seams going on, making it hard to adjust.  I cut out the size recommended on the envelope and it  fit almost everywhere.  The upper part of my chest near my armpits needed some adjustment.  I still need to work on the belt in the same fabric, but I haven't found a belt buckle I like yet, so I put on this great red belt and it makes a nice pop. I love this dress and despite the crazy bodice construction, I plan on making another. 

I used Butterick pattern 5605, from their retro collection.  I made view C, because I had this cute buttons I wanted to use.   I also lowered the neckline by about 3 inches because it was just too high.  I kinda feel like Betsy from Mad Men and need to make a pot roast while wearing this dress with pearls and heels. 


I would love to find a  white petticoat to wear making the skirt a lot fuller.  I plan on wearing this for my pin up girl photo shoot tomorrow, what shoes should I put with it?

2 comments:

  1. You can make a petticoat. I saw a tutorial once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made one last night, it's horrible. haha! I really don't like sewing with tulle or netting; it never does what I want. But it worked for the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete