Sunday, May 22, 2011

The things you miss when you're not looking

I have lived in my current apartment for 3 years and just noticed not one, but two mulberry trees near me.  And one is in the back of my building! This has me thinking of how much other amazing finds I am missing because I am just not paying attention.  The other day I was walking my dog and we went to this part we always go to and Sadie decided to pee under this tree, I looked up and noticed berries resembling blackberries.  They weren't blackberries but mulberries; all ripe and delish.  Then today, again walking Sadie, I noticed another tree as she was doing her business. 

So of course I will be picking mulberries and making some jam and muffins and whatever else I can come up with.  I plan on freezing what I don't use, so I guess I need to pick a lot.  I am also thinking I need to go ahead and buy one of those vacuum sealers because I also got a plot in a community garden that is huge, so I will be growing a lot more than what I thought. 

I decided to eat a few mulberries today and I had the darnedest time getting those stems off the berry.  I just ate them, but surely there is an easy way to remove them. 

Do you have a favorite mulberry recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment