Saturday, January 11, 2014

Butternut squash bread

I don't remember where I found this recipe, but since I have it has replaced zucchini bread in my kitchen.

I have to make sure I make some sort of bread or muffins each week or I spend a ridiculous amount of money buying muffins.  Since my 2nd seasonal job is finished today I have to eliminate the extra money I allocated for eating out.

To say that this bread is delish is an understatement, moist, sweet, and fluffy all make this a excellent choice for a breakfast bread or an afternoon snack with a cup of tea.

The original recipe calls for 1cup sugar and 1/4 cup water.  Today I substituted honey for the white sugar and omitted the 1/4 cup of water.  The original recipe also calls for white flour and I used some white/wheat combo bag I accidently picked up. 

Every time I make this bread it only lasts about two days before I eat it all.

Total costs for the loaf $4.33.  Much cheaper than buying $2 muffins every day.  I included .25 for the spices.  They have been in my cabinet and I don't remember how much I paid and calculating cost from a bottle of salt gives me too much of a headache now.  I buy my spices from an Indian grocery and get huge bags of cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, etc for about $2. 

Recipe

1 c. Butternut squash puree (see recipe below)
2 eggs - .66
1/2 c. Oil (I used olive) - .44
1/2 c. Honey - .68
1/2 c brown sugar - .38
1 3/4 c. Flour - . 34
1 tsp baking soda - .04
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamon

Butternut squash puree
1/2 cooked butternut squash $1
6 Tbsp butter - .56
2 Tbsp brown sugar -  .05
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt

Head oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly oil a loaf pan (or muffin tin).
Combine ingredients for puree in food processor and combine until smooth.  You might have to add a bit of water. 

In mixing bowl, mix eggs, puree, oil, honey, and brown sugar until smooth.  Add flour and spices and mix until just combined.

Pour mixture into an oiled loaf pan, bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment