Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Black bean & corn burgers

So if you hadn't noticed this is my second burger post in a week.  I love making burgers.  Not only can I whip out a weeks worth of lunch, they are cheap to make.  In addition the ingredient possibilities are endless.
Today I made spicy black bean and corn burgers.   I love black bean and Cuban combo and the added paprika topped with avocado makes it all more delish.

The other, more like third great thing about burgers is they are easy to transport and do not need me to reheat.  This means I can throw one in my bag for class or work in a cinch.

I used dried beans and frozen corn in this recipe because it's cheaper.  But you could certainly use canned beans and fresh corn (when in season of course).

Spicy black bean burgers
2 1/2 cups cooked black beans  - $0.59
1 cup corn - $0.30
1 sm onion - $0.50
2 clove garlic $0.26
1 cup oats  $0.72
Olive Oil  $0.25
paprika, cumin, salt, pepper to taste  $0.10

Total cost:  $2.72
Package of hamburger buns $2.99

Cost per burger + bun: $0.84

Can't buy such a cheap delish burger at any restaurant!!

Saute onion in  a little bit of oil until soft.  Add garlic and spices.  Cook about 2 minutes longer.
Pulse oats in food processor until they look like flour.
Combine beans, corn, onion mixture into food processor.  Pulse until smooth.
Form mixture into patties the size that you want. I made about 8 patties.  Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment