Saturday, January 18, 2014

Veggie egg rolls

Since I am on the go a lot I like making easy finger foods that transport well and do not need to be reheated.  Today I made a delish batch of veggie spring rolls.

I baked mine, but you could just as easily fry them.  You can also fill them with whatever veggies you have in the fridge (or meat).

I use egg roll wraps from the produce section.  They are usually near the herbs.  You can also use wonton wrapers and make dumplings.  There were 16 wrappers in the package and I was able to make 14 egg rolls.  I guess I'll need to find something to do with the other two wrappers now!

Whatever you decide to fill them with, you will not be able to eat just one!

1 package wraps. $1.50
1 small onion $0.37
2 carrots. $0.32
1/4 head small cabbage $0.50
1/2 package mushrooms. $1.00
1/2 carton tofu diced. $0.75 1 inch piece ginger $0.05
1 Tbsp sesame seed oil $0.10
3 Tbsp soy sauce. $0.05
3 Tbsp fish sauce. $0.05
1 Tbsp sugar. $0.05
2 Tbsp rice vinegar $.10
2 Tbsp oyster sauce $0.10

Total cost: $4.94

Saute onions, carrots, cabbage, and mushrooms in sesame seed oil until soft. Add tofu and sauces. Cook for about 3 minutes more. Turn off heat and let veggies marinate in sauce. Add a spoonful to eggroll sheet and wrap. Bake at about 350 degrees until tops of rolls are brown.

Cost per egg roll - just $0.35!!  You can't beat that anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment