Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hearty breakfast

Weather men are calling for some crazy snow storm today - i heard 7 inches.  As a result schools are closed so no student teaching for me today. 

I decided to start my day with a yummy bowl of hot cereal.  I love Hodgson Mill Oat Bran hot cereal (you can find it in the cereal aisle near the oatmeal).  I prefer to oatmeal, something about the texture of hot oatmeal just doesn't do it for me.

The flavor combos with this oat bran cereal are endless, really almost any fruit/nut combo tastes delish.  Today I added apples & walnuts -noms noms!

Hot oat bran cereal
2/3 cup oat bran cereal -  $0.22
1 1/4 cup almond milk - $0.52
1/2 apple $0.37
1 Tbsp butter - $0.10
2 Tbsp brown sugar. $0.10
Cinnamon
2 Tbsp maple syrup. $0.25
Handful walnuts. $0.56
2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds. $0.25
Dash of salt

Total cost: $2.37

Saute the apples, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon in a saucepan until apples are soft.  Add oat bran cereal and milk. 

Cook for about 2 minutes.  Be careful the milk does not scald!  Add male syrup, walnuts, salt, and hemp seeds.   Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment