Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Creamy mushroom risotto

I meant to post this last week and totally forgot! I'm a bit behind on my meals for the week so I will try to catch up. Last week we received almost 5 inches of snow and school again was closed.  I decided to make some yummy comfort food for lunch.  Barley mushroom risotto. 

The rosemary is from my window potted garden. I sprouted my plant from a snipping from a communal plant not far from my apartment. So it was free!

I guess technically this is not risotto because there isn't rice in it, but who's getting technical. 

I love the nuttiness of the barley combined with the mushroom. You could adapt this recipe with some other yummy combos. I wonder how some walnuts and cranberries would taste. What combos can you think of?  

Barley mushroom risotto
2 Tbsp butter $0.22

1 sm onion $0.37

1/2 bag barley $0.50

1/2 container bella shrooms $1.00

4" sprig rosemary $0.00

Salt & pepper

About 3 cups veggie broth $0.30

Total cost: $2.19

I got about three meals from this batch bringing my cost per meal only $0.73! Noms noms!

Saute onion in butter until soft.  Add mushrooms, cook for about 3 minutes.  Add salt, pepper, and rosemary. 

Add barley and 1 cup broth.  Cook until broth is absorbed.  Add 1 cup broth, cook until absorbed.  Add remainder of broth, cook until barley is tender.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment